Showing posts tagged with: Alzheimers
One in three cases of Alzheimer's disease worldwide is preventable, according to research from the University of Cambridge.
The main risk factors for the disease are a lack of exercise, smoking, depression and poor education, it says.
Previous research from 2011 put the estimate at one in two cases, but this new study takes into account overlapping risk factors.
Alzheimer's Research UK said age was still the biggest risk factor.
Click here to read more about this.
Dementia patients in the UK face a "care tax" because they are left to sort out much of the care they need themselves, experts say.
The Alzheimer's Society found that on average, the equivalent of £32,242 a year was spent on care per patient.
But the researchers said on average only a third - £10,784 - came from NHS or council funds, leaving a shortfall.
The charity said it was unfair as those with cancer or heart problems got their care free on the NHS.
To read the full article please click here.
Our Clinical Governance Nurse, Cath Townley, recently attended the Dementia 2020 conference to find out more about the governments national campaign to fight dementia.
British researchers are hoping to shed new light on the very early stages of Alzheimer's disease, with the help of hundreds of volunteers.
Most Popular Posts
- Healthcare Assistants wanted in Blackpool to care for a gentleman and lady with spinal injuries
- Routes Healthcare need experienced childminders across the North West of England
- Accounts & Payroll Trainee Vacancy Routes Healthcare - Macclesfield
- Mental Health campaign receives additional funding
- Social Worker Struck Off
- Routes Healthcare Blackpool is committed to the modern apprenticeship scheme
- Routes Childcare - The local company with the Worldwide experience!
- Cancer 'Smart Bomb' Successfully Tested in US
- Personalisation 'at high risk of failure', Norman Lamb told